Kestane Pazarı Mosque
The Kestanepazarı Mosque is located on 872th Street in Konak quarter in the heart of the Kemeraltı shopping district. It consists of a harim with a central plan, a last congregation section with three bays, a minaret adjoining the western facade, and a shadirvan to the south. The mosque stands in one of the busiest spots of Kemeraltı and was accordingly designed as a two-story building with commercial and storage units on the ground level.
The mosque’s construction inscription has not survived. Yet, the traveler Evliya Çelebi, who had visited the region and saw the inscription in the 17th century, mentions that the building was commissioned by Ahmed Ağa in 1078 A.H./A.D. 1667-8. Çelebi also gives detailed information about the mosque. Referred also as the Kızıl İbrahim Ağa Mosque in some records, the building underwent repairs in the early 19th century, in 1965, and in the 1990s.
There is a shadirvan to the south of the Kestanepazarı Mosque. Its construction date is unclear. According to its repair inscriptions, it was repaired by Sultan Abdülhamid II in 1312 AH/CE 1894-5 and by Karaburunluzade es-Seyid elhac Ibrahim Ağa bin Hacı Ahmed Ağa in 1341 AH/AD 1923.