Government House

The first building on this spot was a three-story wooden mansion owned by the Katipzade Family in 1804. Constructed in P-form, with a courtyard and a pool, the mansion (konak, in Turkish) in time gave its name to the square and the neighborhood. Currently the Governor’s Office, the history of Izmir Government House goes back to the early 1800s. Families used to run their cities as notables until Mahmud II’s reforms in 1808, after which they were discharged. The final representatives of notables in Izmir were the Katipzade family. That is why the Voyvoda House was known as Katipzade House at the time. Following the centralization of governance, the Ottoman Empire rented the Voyvoda House again from the Ali Paşa Foundation for the governor assigned from the center and his family. The Ottoman Empire restored the building, which had been ruined following a major fire, and used the building until the 1870s. As Izmir developed rapidly at the time, the Ottoman government intended to build a worthy Government House in Izmir. Accordingly, the previously ruined building would be demolished and a new, impressive public building would be constructed. Project coordinator Ron Vitali started the project in 1869, which was completed in 1872, and turned it over to the Ottoman Empire. The building was in European architecture style and on the side facing the Yellow Barracks was a large garden with a pool. The building was surrounded by auxiliary buildings of the Ottoman bureaucracy. When the building was mostly destroyed following a massive fire in the 1970s, the current structure was built in 1980 in line with the original blueprint. This new structure has been under renovation as of 2021.

Photo Gallery