The mosque is located in front of the Izmir Governorship building on Cumhuriyet Boulevard in the Konak quarter. It is a landmark of the Konak Square along with the Clock Tower. The Yalı Mosque comprises a harim with a single dome and a minaret adjoined to the northern facade. The building is accessed by descending a few steps as it remained below ground level after the Konak Square’s surface was elevated by land filling. The mosque’s main walls were constructed of alternating stacks of ashlar and bricks. The medrese, which was built in 1162 A.H./A.D. 1748-9 by Ayşe Hanım, the daughter of Captain Mehmed Paşa, has not survived. After the medrese’s collapse, the mosque underwent extensive renovation in 1917-8, and was reconstructed by the architect Tahsin Sermet in a style conforming with the First National Architecture Movement. The building assumed its current appearance after a number of subsequent repairs. The octagonal structure has a single dome. The minaret has a pentagonal base. The cylindrical shaft has a single balcony, and is topped with a conical hood. The facades have rectangular windows with pointed-arched tympanums, set in rectangular depressions. Glazed porcelain tiles cover the frames and tympanums of the windows. These tiles were produced in three separate periods. The original tiles were produced by the tile artist, Hafız Mehmed Emin Efendi for the Governor Rahmi Bey period renovations. The 2nd cycle of tiles were produced by the “Metin Tile Factory and were added by Hafız Mehmed Emin Efendi’s son, Hakkı Çinicioğlu, during the repair work in 1964. The final tiles were manufactured by Ümran Baradan in the 1980s and 1990s.